[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Paul Taylor" <PaulTaylor at winn dash dixie dot com>
 To:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>, "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Mystical open port 80...can't block
 Date:  Wed, 23 May 2007 13:34:37 -0400
The firewall state table keeps track of connections more closely that.

A machine on the local LAN could open port 80 as the source port on an
outbound connection, but only whatever it was talking to would be able
to talk back to it, since the state table tracks source and destination
address and port.

I may have missed part of this conversation, but I don't think I've seen
which version of Monowall this was referring to.  If this is with the
1.3 beta, I have seen some really weird things using it as well (though
my issues were all related to protocols other than TCP).

Paul