[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  krt <kkrrtt at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 Cc:  Hans Mojave <root1981 at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] FTP upload problem through monowall
 Date:  Sat, 26 May 2007 22:03:31 -0700
Sounds like the small state table problem, where a regular session is
being clobbered by the new sessions (each file is a new TCP session in
FTP land).  Since m0n0wall is stock tuned for tiny little "my lightbulb
consumes more power" routers, this is how it is.

The proof of this would exist in the logs.  When the lockup occurs, do
you see multiple drops for TCP 21, or whatever port your FTP control
session is on?

FTP itself doesn't use UDP, so there is no issue there (though there
might be a trickle of UDP data involved, like DNS queries and maybe
backend authentication traffic like RADIUS)

Unfortunately, there aren't many ways of working around it at the time
being for 1.2 - state table size is supposedly a compile time variable.
  I hope that we'll see some method of state table size entry method,
and perhaps a smarter overload algo in 1.3, where idle time is
considered for reaping before session age.