[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  krt <kkrrtt at gmail dot com>
 To:  Stephen Ronan <listsubs0506 at comcast dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] block vs. reject in LAN rules
 Date:  Sun, 03 Jun 2007 19:58:27 -0700
Worm/Malicious traffic is the leading cause these days - the worms don't
tend to care about TCP responses/timeouts (but by default they have to
track some things some how, so they will run out of resources
eventually, somewhere along the path).

Rejects are an additional step (generate response, send response) but
still perform a drop.  The additional step adds load.  When an outbreak
of some random worm occurs, it's conceivable that the firewall will be
generating (or attempting to generate) thousands of rejects per second.

I've seen many firewalls in recent era squashed by this effect - beyond
just rejects, the affects of worms on packet handling boxes can be felt
long after bed time.

This is far more on the meticulous detail than daily reality for smaller
installations - it all depends on the malicious traffic generating
capabilities of your LAN boxes.

For my LAN rules:
0) The customary default drops that I like are here - CIFS/etc. (TCP
125-139,445 and UDP the same - though i'm probably turning too much off
here)
1) For certain protocols, I turn reject on - web, ssh, etc. - I want the
instant response for myself and i'm not worried about web worms from my
house.  Weigh this carefully.
3) The LAN subnet hit's the outbound clean
4) Everything that makes it here wins a free trip to the bit bucket