[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Remote access
 Date:  Mon, 11 Jun 2007 11:23:14 -0500
Gazza wrote:

> I would like to access my M0n0wall machine (at home) from work. I have read
> the FAQ specifically this
> <http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/faq-webGUI-from-WAN.html> page. My "problem" is
> that my ADSL ISP gives me a dynamic IP address, so I am not sure what to
> place in as the source address.

> This is what I have thought I could do. I have an active DynDNS account. If
> I make a rule on my ADSL router to forward https (port 443) to my M0n0walls
> WAN address I should be able to access the server, but like I said before, I
> don't know what to place as the source address. I thought that I could set
> it to "WAN" but that would mean that anyone could access it. Also, to get
> this to work, do I need to configure anything else.

I do this all the time.  Dyndns works well, but it works best with
m0n0wall actually on the net.  I would set the ADSL router to bridge
mode, and let m0n0wall handle the pppoe.  That way m0n0wall handles the
dyndns, and the security.  I have port 443 open to 'any' because I
manage from many locations.  If you are concerned, simply move it to an
unusual port.  VPN is an option, but it can be hacked as well, so I just
use 443 and rely on m0n0wall to work as it was designed.  So far it has
in over 40 locations.

			Lee