[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Albert Lash" <albert dot lash at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Question about 2 m0n0walls: a LAN router behind a filtered bridge
 Date:  Sat, 16 Jun 2007 02:29:07 -0400
Hello,

I'm loving m0n0wall, nice work! I'm using a soekris net4501 as a filtered
bridge to manage bandwidth for a diverse network. I have a /28 subnet of
public ips that I'm passing through the net4501 from wan to opt1 to a switch
connecting:

* Astlinux (though soon to be askoziaPBX) on WRAP
* m0n0wall on a WRAP acting as a NAT and router for our office lan
* a couple of public servers

This allows our lan computers to access the public servers, which you can't
do when using 1:1 or server NAT AFAIK.

Everything is working well, and I have the inner m0n0wall (the one on the
WRAP behind the filtered bridge) connecting a VPN out to another network.
That still works fine, except I'm noticing some very odd behavior. If I ssh
over the VPN to a a device on the remove lan and run one of the following
commands:

* ifconfig
* ps -A

something goes haywire and the shell is dropped. The process doesn't die, as
I can login through the public ip and watch the top of my user and see sshd
and bash continue to run after the screen buffer in the other shell through
the vpn stops responding.

I'm wondering if I'm doing something that goes against good network design
here, or if this is a sign of something that is mis-configured and needs to
be fixed. I appreciate any advice - thanks!

Al

--
My Blogs:
http://www.docunext.com/