[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Charles Goldsmith" <wokka at justfamily dot org>
 To:  Gazza <gazzazdaman at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Block all outgoing traffic, only allow certain
 Date:  Wed, 20 Jun 2007 11:48:31 -0500
I haven't done this on a M0n0 install, but use it on Cisco Pix's at work.
The best way is to watch your logs, especially if you don't know what ports
an application needs.

Setup the deny all outbound, open up your web and mail, lock down
destination addresses if possible on the mail, allowing as little as needed
is always a good rule of thumb.

While watching the logs, try a Windows update, see what destination ports
are being denied and open them up.  You may be able to restrict the
destination address to some networks, but I wouldn't personally, never know
when M$ will change things.

This applies to any application that doesn't work when trying, watch the
logs and open up destination ports as needed.  Educate yourself on each
port, don't just blindly open them up, learn, google, check your services
file.  Keep in mind, almost every application that needs internet access
could potentially use different ports.  Almost every game uses a different
port, and things like Bit Torrent, AOL, AntiVirus will all be different.

HTH
Charles