[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  John Smith <jvin248 at gmail dot com>
 To:  Rendra Basuki <rbasuki at gdincorporation dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [Fwd: Re: [m0n0wall] Please help newbie] - monowall is up, now what?
 Date:  Tue, 03 Jul 2007 08:45:36 -0400
Rendra,

Hook the ADSL to the Monowall WAN NIC with a straight-through cable,
then (for now) use a cross-over cable direct to the PC from Monowall LAN
NIC.  Don't use the switch while you're debugging.  Make sure all NIC
lights are on (to show cable connections are ok) if not then first try
changing the cables in case the ADSL wants a cross-over cable (ADSL
documentation may indicate which to use too).

The ADSL modem should be set to provide DHCP services to monowall (WAN
side should show IP from the ADSL modem).  That's the easiest, harder is
to specify static IP's for both units.  You may need to hook the PC to
the ADSL to verify its settings.

Monowall should have DHCP service enabled on the LAN side so your PC
will pick it up.  I'd suggest getting that connection to work first - so
you have access to the WEB GUI and can see what is going on in there
(check the "interfaces" menu item to see the status of the NICs and IP
addresses).

You may need to specify DNS IP addresses in Monowall to get through your
ADSL (issue I had before that took a while to figure out).  I could ping
an IP address number 68.233.?.? but not www.google.com which were the
same site.

After settings are changed, reboot all the boxes in the order from the
internet (ADSL, then monowall, then PC).

John