[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  krt <kkrrtt at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Jimmy Bones (Mhottie)" <mhottie at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  Monowall Support List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] new WRAP board yet?
 Date:  Mon, 09 Jul 2007 10:38:03 -0700
"Price Secrecy", especially with small businesses, usually stems from
how purchases are made.

They don't usually keep things in stock, or if they do, it's in small
batches.  Your purchase either applies to existing stock or future, but
in either way you're likely going to be paying the retailer this:

Cost of unit on day of sale (replace stock or acquire), + fees for
running the business that was able to provide you with the right means
to make the sale, plus whatever profit is there, if any is left +
shipping/handling.

This is very true on very small unit sales (what you see with specialty
items such as the machines we all like to run m0n0wall on).

Basically, it saves everyone a little money to do it this way.  The
vendor that has stock sitting around for months at a time is going to
have to charge you more for that same router or make less profit than
the vendor that can acquire and deliver dynamically as need arises.

If tech prices for gear stayed the same in addition to the economies
that we all play in, none of this would matter.  Gear drops in price
fast though, hence the "just in time" business philosophy winning out by
providing a lower cost supply chain and therefore product.

Then again, they could just be trying to bilk ya for all ya got ;-).