[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ron Carter" <wcarterjr at earthlink dot net>
 To:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Dell SC440 server
 Date:  Tue, 10 Jul 2007 23:53:38 -0400
I have got the SC440 up and running.  I did end up having to run a beta of
PFSense to get the adapters to be detected correctly.  The on-board is not
working but the 575 is and I had a dell 10/100 and I stuck that in the
server and brought everything up.

I am seeing a drop in ping times across the vpn tunnels and I am
experimenting with the traffic shaping.  That seems to be helping with some
of the stuff that I am working on.

I had been running M0n0Wall for almost a year with no major issues.  I
changed to PFSense only after I got a surge that knocked out my M0n0Wall box
and the only hardware I could find would not detect under M0n0Wall
correctly.

The big thing I noticed was that the IPSEC VPN tunnels stayed up and had a
better responce time.  FTP transfers across the tunnels where faster and RDP
over VPN was more responsive as well.

When I got my new server M0n0Wall would not detect any nic's in the server.
I tried to use the 1.01 version of PFSense.  That did not work either.
Download the current Beta not a problem in the world yet.

I am going to continue to use both products.  They both have a place.  I
keep everyone up to date on my testing.
RC