[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  Monowall Support List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Isolating users with managed switch
 Date:  Sun, 15 Jul 2007 12:45:14 -0500
Alex M wrote:
> Hey all
>
> I need some help here.
>
> I want to isolate users (Block NetBios so comps cant see each other, or use
> VLANs some how).
>
> I know if I want  to do it with regular wired network I need to use managed
> switch, but I never used them so what function will I need to block net
> bios? How can I setup vlans to achieve same results? Any particular models
> for cheap prices?

Well, you need a switch that understands vlan tagging.  Then you can
configure m0n0wall to a trunk port with a vlan for each other port.
Each port is now an entire subnet.  It can get a bit challenging to manage.

Alternatively, you can get some switches that can do some filtering,
specifically netbios.  Not sure which option is cheaper.

			Lee