[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Isolating users with managed switch
 Date:  Sun, 15 Jul 2007 19:19:39 -0400
On 7/15/07, Alex M <radiussupport at lrcommunications dot net> wrote:
> Thanks for all relies; now I got more questions:
>
> 1. Is PVLAN proprietary to Cisco or there are some other switches that I can
> afford ;-)

None others that I've seen, though there may be some. You can pick up
one of the 24 port switches off that list for maybe $100-200 USD on
ebay, while some of those cost a pile of money there are several cheap
ones on that list.

> 2. If I create VLAN tag for each user on mono, can I make my Captive Portal
> work with that?

No. CP can only run on one interface, each VLAN would be its own
interface. You could have another m0n0wall box upstream from the one
that routes the VLAN's and do CP on it.

> 3. What is the difference between Static VLANs and Dynamic VLANs

Static means a given switch port is always assigned to a specified
VLAN. Dynamic means VLAN is assigned automatically by the switch based
on something, like a MAC address.

-Chris