[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  krt <kkrrtt at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Harbert, Orange Broom" <harbert at orangebroom dot com dot br>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DNS forwarder problem
 Date:  Mon, 09 Jul 2007 18:54:14 -0700
List: we had a personal thread running along side our tech thread.
Sorry for the weird email thread history at the bottom.  I fully admit
to chopping out whole sections of text :-)

------

Linksys is iffy for getting a working unit, but not because of quality
concerns. The problem is that Linksys makes many products.  Some of them
use supported chipsets or are so popular in and of themselves that there
is decent support out there.  Other cards, like yours, use less popular
chipsets, or chipsets that have closed engineering documentation.
Linksys is generally decent, but unfortunately we're still in a mostly
default Windows hardware world.

This means you can't just put the box in the cart, you have to read the
ingredients first - you've got a special Open Source digestive problem :-).

A lot of people seem to dig the atheros, but I would ask the mailing
list for that suggestion.

I'm not sure about DNS forwarding, other than I had to reset dnsmasq
more than once by hand with 1.3x before I considered it "something for
the test network".  I've since gone on to buy a house, so i've not had a
lot of m0n0wall time as of late.

As for slow gui, i've seen people complain about that as well.  I don't
know much about it. I know my soekris isn't that slow and it's a p200.

30 seconds sounds like a sequential DNS query with a failure.  I.e. in
Unixland, BSD in particular, one DNS query will follow the next.  If I
have two servers in /etc/resolv.conf, my first query will go to the
first entry.  If I don't hear anything after 30 seconds I will query the
second server.

In Windows, it pretty much queries all DNS servers at once - or within a
few seconds of each other.  I'm not sure/can't remember if it learns - I
find that funny right now.