[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  krt <kkrrtt at gmail dot com>
 To:  Alex M <radiussupport at lrcommunications dot net>
 Cc:  Monowall Support List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Isolating users with managed switch
 Date:  Mon, 16 Jul 2007 20:57:33 -0700
You can often find surplus gear at a discount.  Managed 10/100 switches
are becoming next to dirt cheap on eBay.  Try looking for some of the
more esoteric gear or "older name" stuff, but be wary, some of the older
devices are not quite... up to par with our modern packet pushers.  You
can save a lot of money with knowledge and avoid the bad deals.

Extreme, Bay Networks (Certain Models), etc. make some decent kit that
fits the bill.  You might even find some older Cisco gear.  Basically, a
lot of it's unsupported, and as such the value drops by a fair amount
since the devices cannot really be used by most businesses*.  You'll
often find that the firmware on the switch is "good enough" even if you
can't find newer code for it.

* They don't have the IT staff to troubleshoot things, but they can
certainly RMA something or work with tech support on a phone.  Job
opportunities exist in the firewall/security consulting space between
vendor support and a  small business owner doing the work themselves.