[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Inbound NAT Port for WAN being spread across too many IP address instead
 Date:  Tue, 17 Jul 2007 00:55:58 -0500
Well, found the answer to my own issue. It seems that a general Inbound
NAT port rule automatically maps all IPs (not just m0n0wall WAN) when
you create the rule. If you try to narrow it down to only the m0n0wall
WAN with a firewall rule, it won't work. I finally ended up creating an
Server NAT IP entry and using that to map that "specific" IP to the
correct port/computer on the network. It's possible it's always been
like this since who knows how many versions ago and because it still
technically works, I never noticed. But it is nice to not have a half
dozen static IPs all mapped to a single computer, so I'm glad I finally
got that resolved. Hopefully this will aid anyone that encounters this,
as by the lack of replies and nothing in the archives my situation was a
little fair from the normal setup :-)

Conclusion.
When doing inbound NAT mappings, if you are not using 1:1 NAT or Server
NAT, keep in mind that *all* of the IPs that m0n0wall is managing will
map inbound instead of just the m0n0wall WAN IP.  It might be useful for
someone if they wanted to map a bunch of static IPs (HTTP, SMTP, etc) to
the same machine, but for me it's a feature I can live without ;-)