[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] What caused this crash?
 Date:  Tue, 17 Jul 2007 20:37:33 -0400
On 7/17/07, Brian McEntire <brian dot mcentire at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Hi all -
> Been extremely happy with m0n0wall and it has been reliable since I
> installed it about a year ago.
>
> However, today had a weird "crash" (if that's what it was.) Not sure
> if my cable modem crapped out first, or if m0n0wall did. But then on
> the screen of m0n0wall, saw these messages:
>
> dc1: watchdog timeout
>   (I see the above line occasionally and it doesn't seem to corollate
> with probs, never saw the next lines until today though...)

Could be a hardware problem, could be that dc NIC's tend to be
quirkier than most. For it to take a year to show up is a bit odd,
usually the dc "watchdog timeout" issues crop up pretty quickly and
routinely (like within 24 hours and happens a few times a week). Many
times it can be fixed with a BIOS upgrade or changing BIOS settings
(like PNP OS to no), but some dc NIC's just won't cooperate with
certain motherboards.

Since it worked reliably for a year I would lean more towards the NIC,
motherboard, RAM or some other hardware component flaking out.

-Chris