[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  Monowall Support List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Isolating users with managed switch
 Date:  Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:37:50 -0500
Mark DeGroot wrote:

> This may be a little off of this topic, but has anyone implemented
> something like this on a wireless network?  I have been in coffee shops
> that have wireless access but are setup so you cant see any of the other
> wireless clients.  Anyone have ideas on how this can be accomplished
> without subnetting?

Cisco AP's support the same v-lan concept as the Cisco switches.  With a
full Cisco environment, every connected MAC is in it's own vlan.  With
the nexgate appliance doing the "we work with any IP" concept, people
with static IPs can connect as well.  This is part of the Hilton hotel
High Speed Internet Access (HSIA) requirements.

Other APs have user mode isolation.  They simply will not bridge
wireless clients to other wireless clients.  Still works quite well, at
a much better price.

			Lee