[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall version 1.32
 Date:  Sun, 29 Jul 2007 22:19:18 -0500
Chris Buechler wrote:
> On 7/29/07, Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org> wrote:
>> It is a little slow on embedded and older hardware.
>
> Which isn't fixable, a consequence of FreeBSD 6.x and scalability on
> SMP hardware.

Some optimizations might help a bit, but I think you are correct here.
It is a good thing that hardware improves over time as well. :)

>> It has some
>> unpredictable behavior in some features.
>
> Which? I'm not aware of any verified bug reports that Manuel hasn't
> fixed in the last couple days. Hopefully that means we'll see a 1.3b3
> in the not too distant future, at that point testing will be much more
> useful.

The fragments issues looks to be resolved, but needs some testing to be
sure.  And wasn't there a report of odd captive portal behavior?  Which
all brings us to the next point...

>> What it really needs is a lot
>> of use, bug reporting and patching.  What you can do is try it, and test
>> it.  However, you need to be able to do real bug reporting and fixing,
>> not just "feature X is broke!" :)

> Even "feature X is broke" would be slightly useful.  :)  Well, if
> given in much greater detail and specifics than that.
>
> I think all the bugs have been addressed as of now (at least the ones
> that are known), it's probably more of an issue of feature
> completeness to getting 1.3 released. The few features on the todo
> list are I'm guessing what Manuel wants to see to consider 1.3
> feature-complete.

The bugs that are known, and repeatable.  Allong with the very small
number of additional features, I think we need a lot of testing in
different environments.  Something I will be looking at in a few
production locations with the next beta release.  After all, only users
can really break things. :)

			Lee