[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "The Opera House Internet Cafe" <theohic at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  A few issues still unresolved.
 Date:  Mon, 30 Jul 2007 13:03:51 -0400
I posted a couple of these a while ago, and never got a solution,  so i
figured i'd try again.

after switching from 1.22 to 1.231 I had noticed a problem with redriects
from the Captive Portal login page,  Our customers would enter in their
login info,  and the CP Login page would sit there for 10-60 seconds,   the
status bar in IE or Firefox would say "Waiting for 192.168.0.5" (our mono
server).  after 10-60 secodns,  the page would redirect and they could go on
about their business.

after much tinkering/trial/error/coffee  i realised that the CP was
authenticating me immediately,   if i clicked the submit button then
switched to a command line,  i could ping out.  so it was ddefinately the
$PORTAL_REDIRURL$

My boss,  being much less computer literate,  and thus able to immediately
see the problem,  said "Try going back to 1.22"  so i did, and lo  and
behold,  the problem doesn't happen.    it does happen in 1.23 and 1.231.

Anyone have any ideas about why this would happen? and if there is a
solution (other than sticking with 1.22)

the problem with sticking with 1.22,   is that i get DHCP timeouts,  If i
leave the machine running for more than 24 hours or so, the DHCP server
simply stops giving out leases and i have to reboot the monowall,    Normall
this isn't a problem as i reboot it every morning,     However some days
(mostly on my day off)   it doesn't get rebooted,    so it stops giving out
addy's, a nd i have to come in and restart it while we are open,  which
annoys the customers to no end.

If there is no solution to this aside from rebooting every day,  Is there a
way that i can add a cron job to the mono server to just have it reboot
automagically every morning?

IN addition to it not giving out DHCP,  the captive portal starts allowing
some machines on without authenticating.

Thanks for any advice/help you can give.