[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Paulo Meireles <subscribe dash m0n0wall at exxpert dot com>
 To:  Roland Giesler <roland at thegreentree dot za dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall&virtualization
 Date:  Tue, 24 Jul 2007 11:50:22 +0100
Hi,

I've been successfully running such a configuration for quite a long
time. I have used both VMware Server (which is free) and VMware ESX
(which is not - and is actually overkill for what you intend to do).

I never used Xen, but the basics should be the same. With VMware Server
I used Windows 2000 as the host (as it's "thinner" than XP) but you may
use your favorite Linux distro - or BSD if you're using Xen. I recommend
you to use a stripped-down installation, with only the bare minimum
needed to run the virtualization layer (either VMware or Xen). Then,
create virtual machines where you will install everything you need.

Keeping applications off the host and running everything in VMs makes
hardware upgrades (and recovery) a piece of cake: just copy the virtual
machines to a new host and power them up.

As for networking, the trick is not to configure IP (or any other
protocol) on the host's NICs exposed to the Internet. This way, it's
almost as if the NIC does not exist and, while you can sometime attack
what you can't see, you can't attack what is not there!

You may add an extra layer of security by not having IP on the LAN
interface either, and have an isolated NIC configured specifically for
managing the host; you may the connect to it from a laptop with a
crossover cable or something alike.

Hope it helps a bit, and good luck!

Paulo