[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Darren Gibbons <dgibbons at openroad dot ca>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  PPTP, Vista and AllowPPTPWeakCrypto
 Date:  Tue, 31 Jul 2007 21:43:17 -0700
Hi all,

Running Monowall 1.231.  PPTP is working great on XP, but I couldn't get it to work under Vista.
After some research I found this KB article:

  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929857

I modified the the registry to set AllowPPTPWeakCrypto key to "1".  After reboot, PPTP works.

According to the KB article, this is the reason for the change:

  This behavior occurs because Windows Vista does not have
  default support for the 40-bit and for the 56-bit encryption
  levels under the RC4 algorithm. By default, Windows Vista
  supports 128-bit encryption.

While this registry change works, I'd rather use the stronger encryption.  Is there any way to
enable 128-bit encryption under Monowall?

Darren.