[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  YvesDM <ydmlog at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Reboot
 Date:  Wed, 1 Aug 2007 21:58:14 +0200
On 8/1/07, Atkins, Dwane P <ATKINSD at uthscsa dot edu> wrote:

> Robert,
>
> Can you tell me how you did this?  Are you saying that you have opened
> the m0n0wall.img file and made changes to the /etc/login.conf?

Hi Dwane,

Grab workon.sh from http://chrisbuechler.com/m0n0wall/downloads/
Use it on a FreeBSD 6.x system to modify the image.

I loaded up a test device.  We are using Dell GX150s with 256 MB of
> memory and a 256 Compact Flash card as our hard drive.  A freshly loaded
> system shows via http://m0n0wallipaddress/status.php, and clicking the
> df link that we are already at 93 % full.

df shows the used size on the Cf card (or whatever you use)
nothing to do with it...

I thought we had heard that there was something along the lines of a
> memory leak.  Essentially, the applications knows how to accept
> everything, but has issues deleting or removing them.  Is this a true
> statement?  So if you have the DHCP server running, does it have
> problems removing the entry once the computer is offline?  How about
> arp?  What is the maximum number of users have you all found per
> m0n0wall server?  I wouldn't think 100 or 200 would be too much.  What
> is your normal DHCP time? And idle time?

Normally the standard settings should do fine, the leae is given for 2 hours
in a standard setup,
you could try shorten it to 3600 if you have lots of come and go users.
just make sure your dhcp range is big enough if you have lots of different
users.
I have no experience with 100+ concurrent users, but a GX150 should be able
to hold it I think.

I am not well versed in this and am just trying to learn.

We all do  ;-)

 I appreciate
> everyone's help.  Through this we are planning on a daily reboot to keep
> the file system from filing up.  Let me ask you this, can we expand the
> size of root file system?

Why, just use lee's suggestion to start with? You can  do it right away
without even building  a custom image.
Just backup your config.xml, open it with a text editor, add the line he
suggests in the <system> section and see what it does for you.

Thank you all

You're welcome.
Kind Regards,

Yves