[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Ernie Zingleman" <ks4q at zingleman dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Beta 1.3b3 released; Upgrade Failure
 Date:  Thu, 2 Aug 2007 09:54:05 -0400
This transpired last night.  My m0n0 machine is a older K6 350MHz PC.  I've
got a 64 MB compact flash in it.  I had three Intel network cards in it.

I upgraded the firmware from 1.3b2 to 1.3b3 and things fell apart.  Here is
what the screen showed:

Fatal trap 12:  page fault while in kernel mode
Fault virtual address:  0x1c
Fault code:  supervisor read, page not present
code segment:  base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b, DPL 0, pres1, def 32 1,
gran 1
Processor eflags:  interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL=0
current process = 99 (ifconfig)
trap number =12
panic: page fault
uptime: 3s

After this, I replaced my Intel NICs with 3COM 3C905s and got a error
message on the NICs that related to a polling failure of the NICs.  Is the
default setup of 1.3b3 to poll the cards?  My cards or motherboard evidently
didn't cooperate and m0n0 never got up and running with 1.3b3.  I could not
find 1.3b2 on the m0n0 web site so I went back to 1.231.

I hope this helps the developers.

Regards,   Ernie
(regretfully a member of the crash test dummy club)