[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Semi-managed switches
 Date:  Thu, 2 Aug 2007 17:45:44 -0600
> What are folks' recommendations for good semi-managed, cost-effective
> gigabit switches at the moment? By "semi-managed" I mean features like
> port trunking, VLANs, etc, but not necessarily the full management control
> a true layer 3 switch would give you.
>
> Has anyone experience with things like the Netgear "smart switches" or
> Linksys "webview" switches?
>
> Essentially, I'm trying to find the most cost-effective way of getting
> VLAN-capable switches for a site, without the financial overhead of a true
> managed switch.

I use a number of the D-Link DES-35xx series switches.  They're  a great
switch for doing VLAN tagging, port trunking, a little bit of QoS (not
application specific), etc.  I have a couple 3550s - 48 10/100 ports and 2
10/100/1000 combo with GBIC ports and around 15 3526s - 24 10/100 ports and
2 10/100/1000 combo ports.  They're fairly cheap - last ones I got were
around $450 CAD I think.  You could likely find them cheaper on eBay
perhaps.

Aaron