[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jewell, Michael" <mjewell at law dot umaryland dot edu>
 To:  "m0n0wall List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Semi-managed switches
 Date:  Thu, 2 Aug 2007 20:30:22 -0400
I haven't played with any of the cheaper gig switches,  but I've played with the dell 10/100/sfp,
and a netgear 10/100 managed switch.

The comment about the dell being quarky is right,  it's very silmilar to the Cisco CLI (supposedly
it's an older version of IOS) but missing some of the features (like tab to complete commands for
1).  It wasn't bad,  but one oddity I found( was when setting up a trunk, you have to define all the
vlans allowed on the trunk,  as opposed to the Cisco's where it's default all trunks and remove
unallowed.

The netgear wasn't too bad,  but very limited in it's abilities,  had trouble getting it to trunk to
a Cisco Cat4006...  never did solve that problem,  just ran 2 cables to it, 1 for each vlan I needed
it to hold onto...

Hope this helps a little...

-Mike