[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Semi-managed switches
 Date:  Thu, 2 Aug 2007 21:38:42 -0400
On 8/2/07, Jewell, Michael <mjewell at law dot umaryland dot edu> wrote:

> The comment about the dell being quarky is right,  it's very silmilar to the Cisco CLI
> (supposedly it's an older version of IOS) but missing some of the features (like tab to
> complete commands for 1).

It's definitely not an older version of IOS, it's not related to Cisco
in any way. It's just Yet Another IOS Clone. A poor one at that. It
does have tab completion (at least on the models I've worked with,
which are all gig ports, 5324, 6024, and 6224, all with the latest
firmware), but has annoying quirks like it's just 'conf' and 'conf t'
errors out, which is really annoying for me since I spend far more
time on Cisco gear and that 't' is quite the ingrained habit. Other
little annoying things like context sensitive help with '?' isn't very
good.

> It wasn't bad,  but one oddity I found( was when setting up a trunk, you have to define all > the
vlans allowed on the trunk,  as opposed to the Cisco's where it's default all trunks and > remove
unallowed.

On the all gigabit models you can add all VLAN's with one command just
like on IOS. There are some differences, but one of the good things is
it's so close to IOS switches that if you're familiar with them you
won't have any problems.

> The netgear wasn't too bad,  but very limited in it's abilities,  had trouble getting it to trunk
> to a Cisco Cat4006...  never did solve that problem,  just ran 2 cables to it, 1 for each vlan > I
needed it to hold onto...

My first guess is because you didn't tell the Cat to use 802.1Q
encapsulation. 'switchport trunk encap dot1q' on IOS switches, and
with the 'set trunk' command on CatOS. Cisco defaults to ISL.

-Chris