[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Support Questions
 Date:  Fri, 3 Aug 2007 13:30:42 -0400
On 8/3/07, Atkins, Dwane P <ATKINSD at uthscsa dot edu> wrote:
> Good morning.  I would like see if someone can give me an idea of how
> many users the believe that m0n0wall 1.2.3.1 should be able to handle?
> Are we looking at 100?  Or 200 maybe?  Or is it thousands?

However many will exhaust a 30,000 max capacity state table. That may
be 5 hosts in some networks, and 100,000 hosts in other networks.
There are networks running m0n0wall with thousands of hosts.
Exhausting the state table is going to be the first problem you hit,
and it's not easy to change that since it requires a kernel recompile.
But 30,000 should be adequate for most business networks (i.e. no P2P
traffic or other extreme Internet abuse) up to a couple thousand or
more hosts. It varies way too much from one network to another to even
attempt to estimate for your particular network.

-Chris