[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall dash dev at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall-dev] m0n0AP - m0n0Cored Project Launch
 Date:  Fri, 3 Aug 2007 19:27:53 -0400
On 8/3/07, Junior Gillespie <junior dot gillespie at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> Were ever more closer to launch of the new m0n0AP/m0n0Cored project with
> feedback and assistance from many! I'm very excited to get this project
> underway, and look forward to development of this project.
>
> Here are the minimal requirements I think we need and are starting with for
> development:
>
>    - Web presence
>    - SVN
>    - Forum

Infrastructure is one of the biggest pains of running an open source
project. For that reason, personally I don't see any reason to at
least use m0n0wall's SVN, forum, list server, etc. It could be a
different site on the same server (m0n0.ch/core/ or something), but
still use the same forum install with dedicated boards for this (email
me with what you're looking for and I can set that up), and Manuel
should easily be able to add a new list on the existing list server. I
don't see any point, at least initially, in putting in the effort
required to brand a new project and create all the requisite
infrastructure. If in the future it turns into something that makes
sense to do that for, that's another story.

No offense to anyone involved in this, but while there's a lot of
initial interest, time has proven that initial interest doesn't equate
to adequate dedication over time to accomplish the desired end result.
Getting bogged down in creating an infrastructure would not be good
for the project because it would exacerbate this. Developer time spent
on infrastructure is developer time not spent on the most important
thing - developing.

I can dedicate a FreeBSD jail to hosting purposes for the project if
needed, on the same servers that host some of the m0n0.ch sites and
all the pfsense sites. Junior, email me if that's of interest. We have
a backup server with synchronized data in another colo facility as
well.

I don't have the time available to promise significant involvement
unfortunately, but I'll contribute to this effort as much as I can
(I'm not a developer but contribute in about every other way both with
m0n0wall and pfSense). If I can assist with any non-programming tasks,
email me.

cheers,
-Chris