[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Albert Lash" <albert dot lash at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Jayden Phillips" <trainguy77 at shaw dot ca>
 Cc:  "Junior Gillespie" <junior dot gillespie at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall dash dev at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: [m0n0wall-dev] m0n0AP - m0n0Cored Project Launch
 Date:  Fri, 3 Aug 2007 19:27:59 -0400
Hello,

> > Another matter at hand, is what do we want to call this new
> > project? Do we want to create a new image/name? Yes, we
> > will still be a project inspired by m0n0wall and based off of
> > m0n0wall/m0n0Cored, however we need to look at the
> > options. We'll need a design for our web presence as well,
> > and I know we have many great web developers, so we need
> > to start getting some ideas together, and maybe some
> > screenshots and take a vote.

First let me start by saying this needn't become a "what color should
we paint the bike shed" issue, then suggest a name with a wider scope,
as "wall" refers the a firewall. m0n0core works imho.

Maybe we should start by defining the project goals first, then work
on a name. Many projects pick a temporary name until the direction and
purpose is more defined. In that case, keeping m0n0wall or m0n0AP is
fine with me too.

> >    - Web presence
> >    - SVN
> >    - Forum

From an administration standpoint, blogs and wikis are easy to manage,
so they may have a place in this project.

Also, a bug / issue tracker might help too. I just did a bunch of
research on them and found phpbt to be the right choice for my needs,
though it is a bit dated and needs a few patches.

> > We look to be moving toward a Multi-OS solution where various
> > architectures can be utilized. This in my opinion sounds like a
> > good idea, however, could be an issue in maintaining. What is
> > everyone's opinion on this matter?

You are right - the maintenance could be a burden. How about limiting
the OS and architecture support to a chosen few? IMHO, the benefits of
portability are great, and the majority of them are realized when a
project is supported on more than one platform. More than two or three
is a lot more work for a little more gain.

I would like to support for the following architectures:

x86
x86_64
ARM
PowerPC
MIPS (maybe)

through a mix and match of these distros:
m0n0wall obviously
FreeWRT / OpenWRT / uclinux
debian / voyager

- Albert