[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] multiple domains with m0n0wall?
 Date:  Sat, 4 Aug 2007 01:33:28 -0600
On 8/4/07, David Burgess <apt dot get at gmail dot com> wrote:
> On 8/3/07, Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com> wrote:
> > > is it possible to "map" different domains with the monowall?
> > > let me try to explain what i'm thinking about.
> > >
> > > i have one static ip adress. behind a monowall 2 webservers are running on different machines.
> > > it's just a small testing installation. now i like different rules for different URL's.
> > >
> > > e.g. the request goes to www.myfirstdomain.ltd, the request should be through NAT/Firewall to
Server1,
> > > a second request goes to www.myseconddomain.ltd, all requests should go unfiltered to Server2.
> > >
> > > is it possible to filter requests by domains? is something like that possible in general?
> > >

> > I'm not aware of any commercial or open source firewall that will do
> > this. However there is a solution in the documentation that may work
> > for you.
> > http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/thirdparty-apache-virtualhosts.html
> >
> > You really need one public IP per web server, though that may be a
> > suitable work around. You could also reverse proxy with a number of
> > different solutions, Google and you'll find answers.
>

> Isn't lighttpd supposed to do exactly this? Sorry I'm not terribly
> familiar with it; I tried to fire  it up once for a different purpose
> and had to abandon as I found the documentation a little too thin.

I should have been more specific. I'm thinking mono will pass all
requests for both domains to a lighttpd server, which in turn will
sort the requests to your various boxen.

Of course the lighttpd server would need a criterion on which to
decide whether the original request was destined to server A or server
B, and I'm not sure if any such criterion would survive mono's NAT.

Sorry, maybe it's a little late here to be tossing out ideas.

db