[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Duncan Drury" <DDrury at christian dash aid dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  M0n0wall to model poor internet connections
 Date:  Mon, 6 Aug 2007 12:37:44 +0100
I am using m0n0wall to model the network conditions that my
organisation's overseas offices experience.  This allows us to test how
well different applications perform under those conditions and make
adjustments accordingly.  I thought I'd share how I am doing this in
case it is useful to others, and also to see if anyone sees any problems
with my method.

For each office I am using www.speedtest.net to get an approximate
measurement of bandwidth both up and down, and the delay.  I then take
the figures I have and create two pipes in m0n0 for each office - one
with the download bandwidth and one with the upload bandwidth.

I then create a rule for each of these pipes - the download rule is for
incoming traffic on the WAN for any protocol, any port and to and from
any host.  This has the download pipe applied to it.
I create a similar rule for uploading except here the rule is for
outgoing traffic on the WAN.

I then activate only the two rules for the particular office I want to
model.

So far this seems to be effective.  Has anyone got any suggestions for
how I might improve this?  I'm particularly interested in any ideas on
how to better gather the information on network conditions in our
offices.  Does anyone see any flaws in my use of pipes and rules?

Anyhelp very much appreciated.

Duncan Drury
International IT Officer
Christian Aid

Cut the carbon
From Belfast to the London Stock Exchange, marchers from poor and rich countries will spend 80 days
walking 1,000 miles taking our cut the carbon message to companies and MPs. Find out how you can get
involved!
http://www.christianaid.org.uk/climatechange/index.htm

Save paper, save trees and only print this email if you have to.

Christian Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales, Northern Ireland
and the Republic of Ireland.
Registered offices:
UK: 35 Lower Marsh, London SE1 7RL. Company No. 5171525. UK registered charity No. 1105851.
Northern Ireland: Murray House, Belfast BT1 6DN. Company No. NI059154. Northern Ireland charity ref:
XR94639.
Republic of Ireland: 17 Clanwilliam Terrace, Grand Canal Quay, Dublin 2. Company No. 426928.
Republic of Ireland charity No. CHY 6998.
Christian Aid Trading Limited: 35 Lower Marsh, London SE1 7RL. Company No. 1001742.

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by MessageLabs.