[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] WAN fails to connect
 Date:  Thu, 9 Aug 2007 00:22:34 -0400
On 8/9/07, David Burgess <apt dot get at gmail dot com> wrote:

> So what would the wise readers of the mailing list suggest? Does this
> look like a CF issue that a total reflash would/wouldn't correct? Does
> it look more like a hardware issue? How could I narrow this down?

I'm not really sure what to suggest, but you definitely wouldn't get
anywhere rewriting the CF. A firmware upgrade does just that. Besides
that, I've never heard of anyone needing to reflash for any reason. If
the CF were failing, the firmware upgrade would probably have failed,
or boot would fail or be flaky. Since it boots up completely, that
basically eliminates the CF as a potential cause. From there, m0n0wall
runs entirely from RAM.

So it's just one interface, the WAN, that goes down? All other
interfaces remain responsive? You said you tried swapping hardware,
did you actually swap the cards (i.e. leaving the problem card in the
same slot always) or did you re-assign interfaces without moving
hardware?

I'll assume you are using different cabling where the box is located
now vs. what it was using in production. If not, I would definitely
try some different cables.

-Chris