[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  io errors -- trouble?
 Date:  Thu, 9 Aug 2007 21:31:36 +0000
I'm troubleshooting a mono 1.3b2/3 box that was suspected of giving us
intermittent outages on a small percentage of our LAN clients. I
mentioned it in another of my posts yesterday, but I'm starting a new
thread today as the problem-solving process has taken a new direction.

The hardware as I'm testing it, 8 months old:

sempron 1.6 GHz
256 MB RAM
WAN - nvidia onboard GBE (nve driver)
LAN - intel pro 1000 gt pci (em)

I've tested the RAM thoroughly with no errors and now I'm running
iperf through it on a gigabit connection.

If I run iperf in full duplex mode with a single connection each way,
things go fine. But if I run it with any parallel connections I get
errors. For example, if I do a 10-second full duplex test:

iperf -c 192.168.0.195 -i 10 -d -t 10 -P 8

I get in/out errors on my WAN interface. This is after a fresh reboot
and a single 10-second run on iperf as quoted above:

Media  	 1000baseTX <full-duplex>
In/out packets 	448772/535650 (377.81 MB/613.10 MB)
In/out errors 	73/0

It doesn't actually appear to matter how many connections I use beyond
1, a ten-second test will typically produce 25-100 in/out errors on
the WAN interface.

I realise that we're talking about less than 1% of packets in error
here, as pointed out by cmb and probably others on the list in the
past, but I'm looking for anything here, as we've definitely had
transient problems in our network. I'm also concerned that I've never
seen errors on this mono before while deployed, and yes, I do check.

FWIW, our firewall states table had typically 5000-6000 entries in it
when the problem began occurring.

So should I suspect this nic? Any other theories out there? All
suggestions appreciated.

db