[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Brown <knightmb at knightmb dot dyndns dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] RE: Latest virus kills m0n0wall
 Date:  Sun, 12 Aug 2007 00:31:41 -0500
I can chime in, ports that are blocked will not fill up the state table.
All it does it generate a ton of firewall log entries for the "denied"
port. What I would do is go ahead and generate a "block all" rule that
is disabled. That way if you find an IP in the connection log causing
problems, you can just add it to the list and at least stop the problem
temporary by enabling the rule. I've had to do this a few times due to
virus laden machines. It will quiet them at least until you can get
physical access to the machine causing the issue.

Another thing, may be a bit more complicated. If you have to allow a lot
of traffic out, use the traffic shaper to setup pipes for certain port
ranges. That way, say port 80 is allowed the full bandwidth available,
but all other port above 1024 for example are limited to 128K Upload,
etc. That way, those that play games or P2P share won't be able to hog
all the bandwidth that the business people need to check e-mail, web
surf, etc.

M0n0wall certainly gives you a lot of options to tinker with that could
help.

Thanks,
Michael