[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Marty Nelson <MNelson at transdyn dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Need Monowall in VMWare Help!
 Date:  Mon, 13 Aug 2007 13:54:53 -0700
Afternoon all.

I'm attempting to turn a couple of physical boxes I have running monowall into virtual boxes and am
running into problems.  Currently the physical computer is a gateway of sorts that is sitting with
the LAN interface in my LAN, and the WAN interface sitting in my DMZ (See my previous postings as to
why this is the way it is if you'd like)

Here's what I've done so far:

*         Downloaded and installed VMWare Server 1.0.3.

*         Downloaded Chris' virtual appliance from here:
http://chrisbuechler.com/m0n0wall/vmware/challenge/ the one thing I did off the bat was drop the
updated cdrom-1.231.iso into the folder and had VMWare point to it as the virtual ISO vs. the
1.2.iso that's in there.

*         I then fired up the machine and changed the local address to an address I could connect to
on my network.

*         From there I uploaded the config that I downloaded from the physical monowall into the
virtual monowall, and rebooted.  When it came back up I assigned the network ports, lnc0 for LAN and
lnc1 for WAN, and rebooted again.

*         Here's where it falls apart.  I can connect to the virtual monowall just fine on the LAN
interface.  Everything operates as you'd expect.  The problem is that the WAN interface doesn't seem
to want to respond to anything.  I've gone through VMWare's network settings and have done the
following:

o   Bridged Ethernet 1 to VMnet0 (Which is physically connected to my LAN)

o   Bridged Ethernet 2 to VMnet4 (Which is physically connected to my DMZ)

I'm unable to ping the WAN interface, nothing shows up in the log, nada.

Thanks,

-Marty