[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs dot com>
 To:  Marty Nelson <MNelson at transdyn dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Need Monowall in VMWare Help!
 Date:  Mon, 13 Aug 2007 15:59:26 -0500
Marty-

Check the following:

1. Is your DMZ in a private address space? Uncheck the "Block Private
Networks" option at the bottom of your WAN interface page.
2. Did you add any firewall rules to allow traffic through the box?
You'll need to add a rule to allow traffic Source:LAN and
Destination:ANYWHERE for starters.
3. Since you can't ping the WAN, try adding a rule to start with that
allows all traffic on the WAN interface. At the very least, add a rule
to allow ICMP (ping).

If that doesn't work, then I guess we "Nelsons" are in some trouble...

Tim Nelson
Technical Consultant
Rockbochs Inc.

Marty Nelson wrote:
> Afternoon all.
>
> I'm attempting to turn a couple of physical boxes I have running monowall into virtual boxes and
am running into problems.  Currently the physical computer is a gateway of sorts that is sitting
with the LAN interface in my LAN, and the WAN interface sitting in my DMZ (See my previous postings
as to why this is the way it is if you'd like)

> Here's what I've done so far:
>

> *         Downloaded and installed VMWare Server 1.0.3.
>

> *         Downloaded Chris' virtual appliance from here:
http://chrisbuechler.com/m0n0wall/vmware/challenge/ the one thing I did off the bat was drop the
updated cdrom-1.231.iso into the folder and had VMWare point to it as the virtual ISO vs. the
1.2.iso that's in there.

> *         I then fired up the machine and changed the local address to an address I could connect
to on my network.

> *         From there I uploaded the config that I downloaded from the physical monowall into the
virtual monowall, and rebooted.  When it came back up I assigned the network ports, lnc0 for LAN and
lnc1 for WAN, and rebooted again.

> *         Here's where it falls apart.  I can connect to the virtual monowall just fine on the LAN
interface.  Everything operates as you'd expect.  The problem is that the WAN interface doesn't seem
to want to respond to anything.  I've gone through VMWare's network settings and have done the
following: