[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Andrew Kemp" <akemp at iquest dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Latest virus kills m0n0wall
 Date:  Mon, 13 Aug 2007 20:39:51 -0400
I'm thinking that the best answer involves the hotel setting an "acceptable use" waiver that says
what guests can and cannot do on their internet connection. By hotel I mean you. ;) If the hotel has
a waiver signed by every guest at check-in that they will only use the internet connection for web,
email, and other non troublesome traffic, you are safe to block every port that is not in that list.
Truth be told there will still be some problems with users that have some bit of clue, but the
majority of the users that complain will be told they signed an acceptable use policy and that the
traffic they are trying to pass is not in the approved list so get over it.

Bottom line is that you won't be able to make everyone happy in this situation. You'll always hear
some complaints about someone that wants to play some online game that is going to saturate the
uplink or someone that wants to use a P2P network on someone else's dime, tough cookies though. One
person can't take up the entire uplink preventing others from using it and in the meantime, you are
preventing your firewall from locking up by blocking practically every port except the most standard
ones.

Andrew