[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Alex Neuman van der Hans <alex at nkpanama dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Latest virus kills m0n0wall
 Date:  Mon, 13 Aug 2007 19:59:12 -0500
Andrew Kemp wrote:
> I'm thinking that the best answer involves the hotel setting an "acceptable use" waiver that says
what guests can and cannot do on their internet connection. By hotel I mean you. ;) If the hotel has
a waiver signed by every guest at check-in that they will only use the internet connection for web,
email, and other non troublesome traffic, you are safe to block every port that is not in that list.
Truth be told there will still be some problems with users that have some bit of clue, but the
majority of the users that complain will be told they signed an acceptable use policy and that the
traffic they are trying to pass is not in the approved list so get over it.

This sounds like a pretty sound argument not only for hotels but several
other types of installations. One thing I'd like to know is... does
pfSense have some form of a "limit connections" rule per-ip or per-port?
I believe I remember reading about that. Maybe pfSense would be better
suited for those particular occasions.