[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  dhcp server filling filesystem 0n 1.3b3
 Date:  Wed, 15 Aug 2007 12:42:27 -0600
Dear list,

Yesterday I upgraded from 1.3b2 to 1.3b3 generic pc. Most of my
customers are on dhcp and most of these have a fixed address assigned
to them in mono's dhcp server, however some do not.

Today I'm getting calls from customers with fixed dhcp addresses
complaining that they have no internet. As it turns out they cannot
even get an IP address from mono.

df shows that /dev/md0, mounted on / is at 100% capacity. ls shows no
core.php. I cannot access some pages, including the arp table and dhcp
leases.

After a reboot of mono the dhcp server log shows /a lot/ of this type
of entry (newest at top):

Aug 15 12:13:43 	dhcpd: Abandoning IP address 10.1.200.147: declined.
Aug 15 12:13:43 	dhcpd: DHCPACK on 10.1.200.147 to 00:17:31:8c:8b:5e
(FamilyFun) via em0
Aug 15 12:13:43 	dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 10.1.200.147 (10.1.0.1) from
00:17:31:8c:8b:5e (FamilyFun) via em0
Aug 15 12:13:43 	dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 10.1.200.147 to 00:17:31:8c:8b:5e
(FamilyFun) via em0
Aug 15 12:13:42 	dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:17:31:8c:8b:5e via em0

and the dhcp leases file is full of multiple IP address entries for
each client (except my own, oddly, which seems to interact normally
with mono's dhcp server. Windows-specific bug perhaps?). This only
seems to be happening to clients that aren't recognised by the dhcp
server, meanwhile it's the clients that are recognised that cannot get
an IP address when the file system fills up.

Can anybody tell me what is going on here and how I can fix it?
Searching decline+abandon doesn't turn up anything in the forum or the
archive. Google returns mostly developer-oriented results that I can't
make much use of personally.

I can't really spend my day rebooting mono every hour or so, and if I
use the "Deny unknown clients" option in mono's dhcp server then I'm
going to have to spend the day on the phone talking to customers that
haven't been assigned, which I also can't really afford to do. This
isn't really a solution anyway, because we'll always have new
customers or old customers with new computers coming onto the network
and freezing things up in time.

I need an option that doesn't involve frequent reboots or frequent
phone calls. I guess I could go back to 1.3b2 if needed, but I would
rather not.

Thanks again for all your help.

db