[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: dhcp server filling filesystem 0n 1.3b3
 Date:  Wed, 15 Aug 2007 14:03:11 -0600
On 8/15/07, David Burgess <apt dot get at gmail dot com> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> Yesterday I upgraded from 1.3b2 to 1.3b3 generic pc. Most of my
> customers are on dhcp and most of these have a fixed address assigned
> to them in mono's dhcp server, however some do not.
>
> Today I'm getting calls from customers with fixed dhcp addresses
> complaining that they have no internet. As it turns out they cannot
> even get an IP address from mono.
>
> df shows that /dev/md0, mounted on / is at 100% capacity. ls shows no
> core.php. I cannot access some pages, including the arp table and dhcp
> leases.
>
> After a reboot of mono the dhcp server log shows /a lot/ of this type
> of entry (newest at top):
>
> Aug 15 12:13:43         dhcpd: Abandoning IP address 10.1.200.147: declined.
> Aug 15 12:13:43         dhcpd: DHCPACK on 10.1.200.147 to 00:17:31:8c:8b:5e
> (FamilyFun) via em0
> Aug 15 12:13:43         dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 10.1.200.147 (10.1.0.1) from
> 00:17:31:8c:8b:5e (FamilyFun) via em0
> Aug 15 12:13:43         dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 10.1.200.147 to 00:17:31:8c:8b:5e
> (FamilyFun) via em0
> Aug 15 12:13:42         dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:17:31:8c:8b:5e via em0
>
> and the dhcp leases file is full of multiple IP address entries for
> each client (except my own, oddly, which seems to interact normally
> with mono's dhcp server. Windows-specific bug perhaps?). This only
> seems to be happening to clients that aren't recognised by the dhcp
> server, meanwhile it's the clients that are recognised that cannot get
> an IP address when the file system fills up.
>
> Can anybody tell me what is going on here and how I can fix it?
> Searching decline+abandon doesn't turn up anything in the forum or the
> archive. Google returns mostly developer-oriented results that I can't
> make much use of personally.
>
> I can't really spend my day rebooting mono every hour or so, and if I
> use the "Deny unknown clients" option in mono's dhcp server then I'm
> going to have to spend the day on the phone talking to customers that
> haven't been assigned, which I also can't really afford to do. This
> isn't really a solution anyway, because we'll always have new
> customers or old customers with new computers coming onto the network
> and freezing things up in time.
>
> I need an option that doesn't involve frequent reboots or frequent
> phone calls. I guess I could go back to 1.3b2 if needed, but I would
> rather not.
>
> Thanks again for all your help.

It turned out a certain router I hooked up for somebody last night was
claiming every active IP address in the arp table. I disabled arp at
the modem, rebooted mono, and we're back up and running.

Note to self and list: if you disable the dhcp server on a 2wire adsl
gateway and attempt to use the lan ports as a switch, you may have
problems :P

db