[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mike <lists at southwestech dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Weird setup
 Date:  Wed, 15 Aug 2007 22:32:03 -0600
Jewell, Michael wrote:
> Unless you ran split tunnel mode, causing only traffic pointing to the other side of the VPN to
use the ipsec and the rest of the traffic to use the ?dsl?

> -Mike

Which is, I think, essentially how the m0n0 handles the VPN as is.
Ideally I don't want the IPcop to even be noticeable... transparent. I
quickly setup a 2 LAN test environment with a squid box on one lan, and
redirected traffic. It works ok. Some lag between interfaces, but I am
blaming that on the poor equipment (namely realtek chipsets). Too many
configuration changes needed though. At any rate, this is not
accomplishing any more than putting in a pfsense box instead and using
the squid package. So, as it stands, I am doing that, but it does not
cache the update packages as I hoped to accomplish with the IPcop
install, but I am already noticing a significant improvement in the
overall bandwidth consumption. I was hoping for a 30% improvement within
a week, and I have already seen 20% in the first two days. Back to the
drawing board I guess. I may toss in an ipcop box this weekend on the
vpn, just to see what happens. Not many users on, so if the tunnels go
down, I won't have a target on my back.

Mike