[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DHCP and bridged interfaces
 Date:  Tue, 21 Aug 2007 21:55:14 -0600
On 8/21/07, Steve Bertrand <iaccounts at ibctech dot ca> wrote:
> > Is there some problem with running the DHCP server on a bridged connection
> > to serve both my wired and wireless internal clients on the same internal
> > network (192.168.2.0/24)?
>
> Actually, there may be.
>
> Do you have provision to put a standalone DHCP server on your network
> (wireless or LAN) and disable the DHCP server of the router itself?
>
> Check to see if this standalone server can respond to broadcast DHCP
> req's over the bridge link.
>
> Better yet, and more importantly, have you verified that you can jump
> the bridge by implementing statically assigned boxes on both sides of
> the bridge and pinging back and forth? (If this fails, DHCP will almost
> certainly fail).
>
> I can't say I'm familiar with the in/out's of the DHCP server in
> m0n0wall, but I can say that if you have firewall rules in the way
> across the bridge, it's a possibility that DHCP will fail before you
> even get a chance.
>
> Steve

I believe this is the forum post,

http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.php/topic,872.0.html

If so, then my understanding is that the OPT1 is the wired interface,
so dhcp on the bridged interface isn't the problem. The wireless
clients are on the LAN, which leads me to believe that the problem
lies somewhere in the wireless setup. Incidentally, I run a mono 1.231
at home with OPT1 bridged to LAN and no problem using dhcp on both
interfaces, wired and wireless clients.

Steve, you may want to try plugging a client straight into the LAN to
see if it gets an address from dhcp, if so then you will know it's a
wireless issue.

Alternatively you could try deactivating OPT1 and plug your access
point into the LAN, trying two or three of mono's physical interfaces
as the LAN if necessary to get this working.

db