[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "Monowall Support List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] IDE to PCMCIA adapter for WiFi card? Will it work?
 Date:  Wed, 22 Aug 2007 23:28:52 -0400
On 8/22/07, Alex M <radiussupport at lrcommunications dot net> wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I guess this is a bit of topic, but I don't know any other place to ask this
> question.
>
> I want to hook WiFi card to my car, unfortunately I only have USB port
> avaluble, and there is no good (powerful usb wifi cards) so I thought to use
> 200mW PCMCIA card.
>
> Now the question is can I use USB (IDE to PCMCIA) adapter for a wifi card,
> even though it is designed to work with hard drives?   For me it seams
> strange to put wifi card on ISE but maybe it can work? Any available info?

There is no such thing as an IDE to PCMCIA adapter. I would guess
you're talking about a IDE to SFF IDE adapter, which I don't think
even has a compatible pin out. If you do manage to plug a PCMCIA card
into a SFF IDE adapter, I'd bet the voltage intended to power the
drive will fry the card.

Regardless - *definitely* not gonna work.

A PCI to PCMCIA adapter should work fine if you have a PCI slot.

> Also does any one cnow any CF WiFI card that has antenna connector?

Never seen one. USB wifi card might be your best bet there, though I
haven't seen one of those with an external antenna connector either.

-Chris