[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bob Young" <bob at lavamail dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Remote access
 Date:  Sun, 26 Aug 2007 02:10:48 -0400
Hi Lee:

It's been a long time since I responded to the list here.  I'm trying to
respond to your "Remote Access" post of June 11, 2007.  I hope my post here
appends to that post.  I'm hoping by me putting in the exact Subject name,
that it will append.

I have also been trying to set up remote access  on my M0n0wall, using
Dyndns like you do.

I have the client in my M0n0wall set up.  And I have my Dyndns account set
up.

The thing that held me back was I didn't know how to open up the firewall in
a relatively secure way, so I could remote in.

I assume you set rules up only in the  Firewall: Rules: WAN  section?  I
wasn't sure if I needed to set something up in the  Firewall:NAT: Inbound
section.

Is there a reason you used port 443 to remote in on?  I think I heard saw
somewhere where port 443 is used to remote into sometimes.  But from what
you are saying, I don't have to use port 443.  Does it matter which port I
pick?  Any ports I should stay away from?  If I don't specify a particular
port, won't it come in on port 80?  Is that bad?

Assuming I am lucky enough to be able to remote into my M0n0wall, will I
also be able to remote into my access point, which is connected to my
M0n0wall?  And to the CPE, which is wirelessly connected to my AP?  Or does
Dyndns only allow me to remote into my M0n0wall, and nothing else on the LAN
side of my M0n0wall?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give for my questions.

Bob