[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Duncan Drury" <DDrury at christian dash aid dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  USB Issues
 Date:  Tue, 21 Aug 2007 12:44:27 +0100
I'm currently trying to get m0n0wall running on a PC in Democratic
Republic of Congo.  In order to prove that m0n0 will work in our offices
here I want to be able to boot from CD and leave the hard drive alone.
The problem I am having is there don't seem to be any working floppy
drives here (I've been through three so far).  I can't save the config,
and thus can't use m0n0wall.

I've tried saving the config to USB flash drive, but it just doesn't
seem to work - the USB flash drive is formatted as FAT32, with nothing
else on it.  When I plug it in and out, m0n0 reports it, but doesn't try
to save to it when I change config, and doesn't try to read it when I
boot m0n0.

I was going to try and write the whole of the generic-pc image to the
USB flash drive using physdiskwrite and boot from that, however I have
no way of knowing which disk physdiskwrite will try and write to (I
don't want to wipe my hard drive 6000 miles from home)  Contrary to what
is shown on the documentation for physdiskwrite, when I run it from
Windows all I see is the following:

******
C:\>physdiskwrite.exe

physdiskwrite v0.5.1 by Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>

Usage: physdiskwrite [-u] <image-file>

           -u    remove 2 GB restriction (WARNING!)

C:\>
******

Any advice on getting m0n0 to save to the USB drive or use physdisk.

Cheers,

Duncan

--
Duncan Drury
International IT Officer

T: 020 7523 2068
E: ddrury at christian dash aid dot org dot uk <mailto:ddrury at christian dash aid dot org dot uk>
Skype: caid-ddrury <callto:caid-ddrury>
--

Cut the carbon
From Belfast to London, marchers from poor and rich countries will spend 80 days walking 1,000 miles

Save paper, save trees and only print this email if you have to.

Christian Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales, Northern Ireland
and the Republic of Ireland.
Registered offices:
UK: 35 Lower Marsh, London SE1 7RL. Company No. 5171525. UK registered charity No. 1105851.
Northern Ireland: Murray House, Belfast BT1 6DN. Company No. NI059154. Northern Ireland charity ref:
XR94639.
Republic of Ireland: 17 Clanwilliam Terrace, Grand Canal Quay, Dublin 2. Company No. 426928.
Republic of Ireland charity No. CHY 6998.
Christian Aid Trading Limited: 35 Lower Marsh, London SE1 7RL. Company No. 1001742.

This e-mail has been scanned for viruses by MessageLabs.