[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Wilson, Ron" <rwilson at mpr dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  traffic shaping for dummies
 Date:  Tue, 28 Aug 2007 13:49:31 -0400
I have had my monowall up in my home for over a year now:

Version  	  1.22
built on Sun Apr 2 18:57:20 CEST 2006
Platform 	generic-pc
Uptime 	141 days, 16:56

I love it.  I run with LAN, WAN, and DMZ on OPT1.  I run a Tradewars
server (telnet game) on the DMZ that peaks at about 5 Kbps on port 23,
and a VNC server on port 5901 for headless access.

I would like to apply some traffic shaping to protect traffic on the DMZ
from getting choked by traffic on the LAN.  I'd like the pipe to be able
to expand when bandwidth is available (VNC), but not choke beyond a
certain point (unhappy telnet players).  The documentation is a tad
sparse:

http://doc.m0n0.ch/handbook/ref-shaping.html

Can someone help a newbie out?

RW