[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Aaron Cherman" <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] USB Issues
 Date:  Tue, 21 Aug 2007 08:52:47 -0600
On 8/21/07, Aaron Cherman <aaronc at morad dot ab dot ca> wrote:
> > I'm currently trying to get m0n0wall running on a PC in Democratic
> > Republic of Congo.  In order to prove that m0n0 will work in our offices
> > here I want to be able to boot from CD and leave the hard drive alone.
> > The problem I am having is there don't seem to be any working floppy
> > drives here (I've been through three so far).  I can't save the config,
> > and thus can't use m0n0wall.
> >
> > I've tried saving the config to USB flash drive, but it just doesn't
> > seem to work - the USB flash drive is formatted as FAT32, with nothing
> > else on it.  When I plug it in and out, m0n0 reports it, but doesn't try
> > to save to it when I change config, and doesn't try to read it when I
> > boot m0n0.
> >
> > I was going to try and write the whole of the generic-pc image to the
> > USB flash drive using physdiskwrite and boot from that, however I have
> > no way of knowing which disk physdiskwrite will try and write to (I
> > don't want to wipe my hard drive 6000 miles from home)  Contrary to what
> > is shown on the documentation for physdiskwrite, when I run it from
> > Windows all I see is the following:
> >
> > ******
> > C:\>physdiskwrite.exe
> >
> > physdiskwrite v0.5.1 by Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
> >
> > Usage: physdiskwrite [-u] <image-file>
> >
> >           -u    remove 2 GB restriction (WARNING!)
> >
> > C:\>
> > ******
> >
> > Any advice on getting m0n0 to save to the USB drive or use physdisk.

It appears you're trying to run physdiskwrite by clicking on its icon.
Rather, try opening a command line (Start->Run...->cmd) and type in
the command using its location, such as "c:\physdiskwrite -u
c:\generic-pc-1.231". This will write to the usb drive which you can
then try booting from.

Be aware that it can be tricky booting from a usb drive. Your computer
must support booting from a usb drive and you may need to do other
prep on the drive if it doesn't work. There is a thread in the forum
(http://forum.m0n0.ch/index.php/topic,78.msg2348.html) that could be
of help.

db