[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Lonnie Abelbeck <lists at lonnie dot abelbeck dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  net5501 VLAN creating MTU problems
 Date:  Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:59:19 -0500
My goal today was to replace my Soekris net4801 with a shiny new
net5501.

I installed the generic-pc-1.231 on the net5501, replaced every "sis"
with "vr" to create my new config.xml .

vr0 - untagged LAN
vr1 - untagged WAN
vr2 - tagged VOIP, WLAN, OVPN, VLAN1 and XTRA
vr3 - empty

Long story short, it appears that "long frames" are not being used in
the "vr" driver with m0n0wall.  It appears I am having MTU issues,
ping's work everywhere, but large http's stall when tagged to
untagged interfaces are used, tagged to tagged work fine.  UDP
traffic is fine.

The Soekris net5501 uses the VIA Rhine III VT6105M nic.

o 802.1q Multiple VLAN support
   - VLAN long frames support (1518+4bytes)
   - VLAN tag auto inserting and extracting on TX and RX side
   - NIC auto filtering on VLAN ID optional

More detailed info:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/networking/rhine/vt6105m/

I tried m0n0wall 1.3b4, same MTU issues.

Any suggestions to enable long frames in the "vr" driver and solve
the MTU issues?

Regards,

Lonnie