[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Buechler" <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] net5501 VLAN creating MTU problems
 Date:  Wed, 29 Aug 2007 19:53:14 -0400
On 8/29/07, Lonnie Abelbeck <lists at lonnie dot abelbeck dot com> wrote:
> My goal today was to replace my Soekris net4801 with a shiny new
> net5501.
>
> I installed the generic-pc-1.231 on the net5501, replaced every "sis"
> with "vr" to create my new config.xml .
>
> vr0 - untagged LAN
> vr1 - untagged WAN
> vr2 - tagged VOIP, WLAN, OVPN, VLAN1 and XTRA
> vr3 - empty
>
> Long story short, it appears that "long frames" are not being used in
> the "vr" driver with m0n0wall.  It appears I am having MTU issues,
> ping's work everywhere, but large http's stall when tagged to
> untagged interfaces are used, tagged to tagged work fine.  UDP
> traffic is fine.
>
> The Soekris net5501 uses the VIA Rhine III VT6105M nic.
>
> o 802.1q Multiple VLAN support
>    - VLAN long frames support (1518+4bytes)
>    - VLAN tag auto inserting and extracting on TX and RX side
>    - NIC auto filtering on VLAN ID optional
>
> More detailed info:
> http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/networking/rhine/vt6105m/
>
> I tried m0n0wall 1.3b4, same MTU issues.
>
> Any suggestions to enable long frames in the "vr" driver and solve
> the MTU issues?

Sounds like a driver bug.  phk fixed some issue in FreeBSD specific to
the vr(4) driver and net5501's, which would not be in any m0n0wall or
pfsense release yet, but I don't know what was fixed (somebody asked,
he didn't reply). Seems there are also issues with Linux drivers from
glancing over Soekris list posts since the 5501 came out.

I would suggest posting to the Soekris tech list about VLAN long frame
support not working with a recent FreeBSD RELENG_6_2 on the 5501, may
get a response there. Could be a hardware or BIOS bug too, based on
Soekris list posts there seem to be a number of those in the 5501. You
may be the first person trying VLAN tagging on one.

-Chris