[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Burgess" <apt dot get at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] 1:1 NAT or M0n0 in bridge ?
 Date:  Tue, 4 Sep 2007 20:01:26 -0600
Apart from the need for an extra NIC in your monowall, I can't think of a
reason to prefer 1:1 over bridging in this case. NAT has potentially more
snags; some services such as vpn can have issues over NAT. Granted, since
your customer has his own router, he will be dealing with NAT issues anyway,
but why involve yourself in that? Furthermore, a double-NAT setup such as
this can have complications of its own, as mentioned recently somewhere on
this list or in the forum. NAT makes your monowall a harder than bridging
and will lower your throughput potential.

The only reasons I can think of to prefer NAT over bridging are for
increased security (customer is using a NAT router anyway, so moot point),
and firewall control (mono lets you do that in bridge mode too). Unless you
need captive portal on this monowall, and if it has or can have a third NIC,
I can't think of a reason to use 1:1 in your situation as I understand it.

db