[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Steve Bertrand <iaccounts at ibctech dot ca>
 To:  peter green <pcg at agathongroup dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DHCP and bridged interfaces
 Date:  Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:00:12 -0400
> Is there some problem with running the DHCP server on a bridged connection
> to serve both my wired and wireless internal clients on the same internal
> network (192.168.2.0/24)?

Actually, there may be.

Do you have provision to put a standalone DHCP server on your network
(wireless or LAN) and disable the DHCP server of the router itself?

Check to see if this standalone server can respond to broadcast DHCP
req's over the bridge link.

Better yet, and more importantly, have you verified that you can jump
the bridge by implementing statically assigned boxes on both sides of
the bridge and pinging back and forth? (If this fails, DHCP will almost
certainly fail).

I can't say I'm familiar with the in/out's of the DHCP server in
m0n0wall, but I can say that if you have firewall rules in the way
across the bridge, it's a possibility that DHCP will fail before you
even get a chance.

Steve